Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tips for New Runners


Disclaimer:  I got this off the internet.  But I will interject my thoughts on each topic!!!

 

1.     How to choice a race – Consider location, price, time and fitness level.  I always choice a race close to home!!  However, if it is a race I want to do I will travel.

2.    How to include your dog – Start slow, with a 10-minute run & increase mileage slowly like you would for your own training.  I don’t run with my dog (she doesn’t like people other us)

3.    How to choose a GPS Watch – Before you buy ask yourself what you’ll use it for & how often, determine what features you need.  I don’t use a GPS watch, I have several apps on my phone that work just fine.  I suggest Nike Running app or Map my Run.

4.    How to Safely Increase Mileage – 70% to 80% of your miles should be at a conversation pace & 20% to 30% should include hill sprints & speed intervals to build strength & endurance for long runs. 

5.    How to Treat Runner’s Knee – Run or workout out only when pain isn’t present.  At the same time, work on strengthening your core & hips to take pressure off your knees.  I have always had a problem knee so this is a good rule to live by!!!

6.    How to Safely Run in the Heat – Allow yourself a 2-week adjustment period to adapt to the heat, sticking with a slow pace.  Remember: Run when the sun is low, early morning or late evening, wear light-colored clothing & drink plenty of fluids.  When I run outside in the summer I run in the morning.  During the week I run on a treadmill.

7.    How to Prep for your First 5K – Eat a healthy dinner the night before-you don’t need to many extra carbs for a 5k – and start the morning with oatmeal and berries, a bagel or banana.

8.    How to Relieve Race Day Anxiety – Nutrition can ease even the worst race-day anxiety.  Try greens of magnesium, whole grain toast for vitamin B or branch amino acid supplements. I really don’t get race day anxiety.  If I do I just power though it!!!

9.    How to Properly Recover after a Run – Replenish blood sugar & muscle glycogen stores with cards, rebuild your muscles with protein & rehydrate with water.  I think what this is saying is eat bread & eat meat.  Also, Gatorade or PowerAde is my choice for after a run rehydration.

10.  How to Cross Train – Cross-training reduces the likelihood of injuries & make you a stronger runner.  Focus on your hamstrings, upper body & tight legs, all of which are common weaknesses in runners.  I wish I would have known this when I started running!!  I have now started to cross train!!  I really like to cross train.

Like I said at the beginning I got this information of the internet, I just thought it would be good information for anyone who would like to start running!!!       

  

Until next time!!
Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment