Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Benefits of Running


I can’t tell you how many times I am asked “Why on earth do you run?”  And when I answer with my typical “Because I like it” answer, I get running is so boring & it hurts me or my favorite is I used to be a runner but stopped after a few times.  There are so many good reasons to run, but I run because I want to & there are a lot of other good benefits of running.  So I thought I would do a little research about it.  Because I know there are a lot of know it all’s out there that know better than me so did the only I knew how to.  I googled it!!  LOL!!

I found 2 different websites that give me some benefits of running, Active.com & Runnersworld.com.

So anyway I just wanted to highlight the one’s I feel apply to me & maybe others.

1.    Improve your health – Research shows running can raise your levels of good cholesterol while also helping increase your lung function.  I have seen that since I started running my health has been in tip top shape.  Running can also boost you immune system. 

2.    Prevent Disease – Running can help lower your risk of breast cancer & help reduce your risk of having a stoke.  Which is good for me because my grandmother had a stoke.

3.    Lose Weight – Running in the leading way to burn off extra calories. 

4.    Boost your confidence – By setting & achieving goals, you can help yourself feel a sense of empowerment, which in turn will make you a happier person. For me this is the biggest benefit to running!  I have set several goals for myself & I have reached most of them!!  I am so much happier!!

5.    Relieve Stress – Stress can diminish appetite & sleep quality.  When you run, you force your body to exert excess energy & hormones.  When I run after having a stressful day I feel so much better after I run!

6.    Running strengthens your knees – It’s long been known that running increases bone mas & even help stem age-related bone loss.  I have had a bad knee since high school but since I started running my knee does feel better & doesn’t hurt as much as it used to!!

Once again I am NOT a medical expert!!  I found all this information online & I just thought I would share with everyone!!  I also wanted to share how this information applied to me!!

 

Until next time!!
Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment